- The Orfeó Català announces the 3rd International Choral Music Competition Orfeó Català 2019 in order to promote new Catalan and international choral compositions, suitable for both amateur and professional choirs.
- At the same time, the FCEC (Catalan Choral Federation) announces the VIII "Catalonia" Choral Composition International Awards of new compositions with Catalan lyrics and arrangements of traditional Catalan songs of medium level ofdifficulty.
- Both competitions, which take place every two years, have different procedures, juries and prizes, and also have several categories explained below.
- The final verdict will be announced publicly in July 2019.
- The awarded works will be premiered during the Festa de la Música Coral that will take place on February 23, 2020 at the Palau de la Música Catalana. The Festa de la Música Coral, organized by the Orfeó Català and with the essential collaboration of the Catalan Choral Federation (FCEC), has the objectives of supporting new choral works on a global scale and at the same time, recovering and promoting the heritage of Catalan choral music.
- The Festa de la Musica Coral, organized by the Orfeó Català, is inspired in a musical event that took place between 1904 and 1922, called Festa de la Música Catalana. The event was created with the intention of increasing the catalogue of Catalan authors of choral music in a time when the choral activity in Catalonia was flourishing. The Festa was also conceptually similar and as prestigious as the Catalan “Jocs Florals”, a poetry contest organized by the city of Barcelona.